How To Get Free SSL Certificate For Your Website ?
How To Get Best Free SSL Certificate For Website | Step By Step Guide
In today’s article, I’ll tell you about “How To Get Best Free SSL Certificate For Website“. So, before I start explaining about how to get best free SSL certificate for your website, you must know what is SSL and why you need it. I will try to explain the things in the simplest way, so that you can easily understand it.
Main Focus of This Article Is On Two Topics :-
1. How To Get Best Free SSL Certificate For Website
2. How To Secure Your Website Using Free SSL Certificate
What is SSL?
SSL stands for Secure Socket Layer. SSL is a technology used for encrypting the communication between web server and user. If you are using SSL on your website, then you’ll see a padlock icon in the beginning of your website’s address. This icon ensures that your webpage is secure.
Why You Need SSL For Your Website?
If you are accepting credit card information on your website and storing this information in your database, then you definitely need an SSL certificate for your website. SSL certificate helps to secure the credit card information as it is transferred.
In the earlier time, it was quite expensive for the website owner’s to switch from HTTP connection to HTTPS connection. But now a days, free SSL certificate service is provided by many websites.
I want to tell that Google also counts this as a ranking factor in SERP. Hence, it is very much important to install SSL certificate on your website to rank higher in search engine results. As Google consider it as an ranking factor, then it means if you are using SSL on your website, then there are more chances to rank higher in SERP.
In this tutorial, we are using Cloudflare service for free SSL certificate.
So.. Let’s start with the step by step guide to install free certificate on your website.
How To Get Best Free SSL Certificate For Website ?
1. First step is to open Cloudflare website. Click on the link to open Cloudflare.com
2. Now, Create an account on Cloudflare.com by clicking on the “Sign Up” button.
3. After filling up the required information, click on “Sign Up” Button. Now, this screen will be displayed on your screen. You can now add your website to Cloudflare.
4. After adding your website, click on Scan DNS Records.
5. After the completion of Scanning process. Click on Continue button.
6. Now, Some information is given to you by Cloudflare. There is no need to change this information, Just simply click on “Continue” button.
7. Now, you have to select a Cloudflare plan for your website. As you are here for the free SSL certificate, so select “free website plan” from the options and click on “Continue” button.
8. Now, it will tell you to change your nameservers by visiting your registrar’s dashboard.
In My Case Registrar is Godaddy (Given Image Shows How To Change Nameservers On Godaddy)
9. Now After changing the nameservers, click on continue button.
10. Here, you can check that new nameservers are active or not. Wait until, your nameservers are not active. When nameservers becomes active, then Go to next step.
11. Now, Under the top menu click on “Crypto”.
12. Under SSL section, select “Flexible”. Now, your SSL certificate will be in Initializing state. It will take upto 2 hours to activate your free Flexible SSL certificate.
13. You can check the status of your SSL certificate from this page. You will see this screen when your SSL certificate status becomes active.
Now, SSL certificate is active on your website but not fully. You have to install some plugins on your website for proper functionality of this certificate.
List of Plugin You Must Install For Proper Functionality of SSL Certificate
When your website is using SSL certificate from Cloudflare.com, then this plugin is required to remove the “Infinite Redirect Loops” on your website. There is no need to setup or change any setting of this plugin, Just install it on your website.
This plugin only requires your SSL certificate, rest of work is done by this plugin itself. This plugin gathers all the settings and will configure your website to run over HTTPS connection. If this plugin shows you this error “.htaccess file is not writable”, then follow the steps given below.
Settings > SSL > Setting > Enable WordPress 301 Redirection to SSL
Now, At the end you have to do some tweaks with Cloudflare settings :-
Step 1 :-
– Go to Cloudflare
– Under menus, Click on “Page Rules” and then click “Create a Page Rule”.
Step 2 :-
– Now write you domain name as shown in the image given below.
– Set SSL and select Flexible option. Then, click on Save and Deploy.
Change Some Settings From Your WordPress Dashboard :-
Change the settings manually from HTTP to HTTPS as shown in the image given below :-
Now, your website is running smoothly with free SSL certificate.
I hope this article is sufficient to answer your question “How To Get Best Free SSL Certificate For Website ?“. If you have any query regarding this article, please let us us know.